813Preps Week 2 Baseball Rankings
Brought to you by Todd Allen and Florida Executive Realty
* Our Week 1 rankings were voted on by 813Preps editor Jarrett Guthrie and 620WDAE’s Jay Recher. Follow Jay’s coverage of all things Tampa Bay sports at his blog by clicking here. *
1. Plant City (5-0) – Excellent starting pitching has the Raiders one of two remaining undefeated teams left in the 813. Plant City went on the road for a trio of games last week. PC defeated Brandon, traveled to Wharton for a decisive win on Thursday, and claimed a big district win against rival Durant on Friday (read about that game by clicking here). The Raiders host Lennard on Tuesday, before a road game against Riverview on Thursday, and a second showdown with Brandon in PC’s pool-play opener of the Saladino Tournament on Saturday. [Last week’s ranking: 4]
2. Sickles (5-0) – Big-time wins over Bloomingdale (read our coverage of this game by clicking here), Steinbrenner and Newsome last week sees the Gryphons take one of the biggest leaps in our rankings – the midweek win over district opponent Steinbrenner being the highlight. But undefeated Sickles’ tests aren’t slowing down, as it travels to face the other part of Class 8A-5 – Plant – on Tuesday. [Last week’s ranking: 8]
3. Alonso (4-1) – After defeating Hillsborough on Monday and winning a tough district game 1-0 against Newsome, the Ravens had a bit of a hiccup on Saturday as Durant came and took an eight-inning win home, 4-3. The Ravens travel to Palm Harbor on Tuesday looking to win another big Class 9A-8 district tilt, before opening Saladino Tourney pool-play against Gaither on Saturday. [Last week’s ranking: 2]
4. Jefferson (3-1) – The Dragons had a successful run down Dale Mabry last week, winning games at Plant and Robinson. A mixed bag of a week lies ahead with games against Middleton and (Saladino Saturday opener) against Blake, sandwiching a Thursday showdown at Steinbrenner. [Last week’s ranking: 5]
5. Plant (3-1) – The Panthers bounced back from a tough, 3-2 loss to Jefferson on Tuesday with wins last week over Bloomingdale and Leto. A big district game with visiting Sickles and a Friday home game against Durant is how Plant gears up for the Saladino this year. [Last week’s ranking: 1]
6. Leto (3-1) – Too many defensive miscues gave Plant extra at-bats last Friday and saw the Falcons drop its first L of the year. However, Leto has done a good job in it’s other three wins this year. The Falcons take on district rival Hillsborough on Tuesday, and open its Saladino Tournament against Bloomingdale on Saturday at Brandon High. [Last week’s ranking: 7]
7. Tampa Catholic (4-1) – The Crusaders may have been guilty of looking a day ahead in losing a 9-7, district game to Tampa Prep on Friday, but got the job done at home on Saturday defeating rival Jesuit in extra-innings (read our game coverage by clicking here). TC blasts into the countdown for the first time this year and will have a HUGE test in traveling to district opponent and the defending Class 4A champs Calvary Christian on Tuesday, and facing another district challenge at Berkeley Prep on Friday. [Last week’s ranking: NR]
8. King (2-1) – King punched the clock with a road win, 9-2, at Brandon last Tuesday as Jamarcus Lyons chipped in with 5 RBI (read our coverage by clicking here) and had the rest of the week off. Things pick up this week as the Lions have a district game at home against Chamberlain on Tuesday, welcome Middleton on Thursday, and then start Saladino play against Armwood at Brandon High on Saturday afternoon. [Last week’s ranking: 9]
9. Jesuit (3-2) – A week that began with a cakewalk over Middleton to start the week, followed by an epic late comeback to defeat Bishop Verot, ended on a slightly sour note as the Tigers lost on an extra-inning, walk-off run on a passed ball at Tampa Catholic on Saturday (click here to see our coverage). [Last week’s ranking: 3]
10. Wharton (4-1) – Despite a loss to Plant City on Wednesday, the Wildcats picked up wins over Chamberlain and Wiregrass Ranch to enter into our countdown’s Top 10 this week. Wharton’s first three games saw double-digit run totals, but competition intensified and that will continue this week when Freedom comes up Bruce B. Downs Blvd for a rivalry game Tuesday, and Wharton travels to Newsome Thursday. [Last week’s ranking: NR]
The Next Five:
11. Cambridge Christian (5-1) [Last week’s ranking: 11]
12. Carrollwood Day (3-1) [Last week’s ranking: NR]
13. Steinbrenner (2-2) – [Last week’s ranking: 10]
14. Seffner Christian (4-1) [Last week’s ranking: NR]
15. Newsome (2-2) [Last week’s ranking: 14]
Falling out of the rankings this week: Bloomingdale (2-2), Strawberry Crest (2-2), Gaither (2-2), Berkeley Prep (2-3).
up a subscription paywall – and we hope to be able to keep bringing you the great stories
from high school athletics in the 813 area free of charge. But we are still a small
business with just a handful of people involved, so there are costs including travel, equipment, and other costs associated with running this business.
We are looking for advertising partners, but we also need to count on our
readers for support. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps
fund it, we will be able to continue covering these athletes’ endeavors.
Support 813Preps.com for as little as $1 by clicking “Donate” button below.